When I present a treatment plan to parents
about their children's dental condition the parents often say to me "Why
should we do this? They are going to fall out anyway!". These are
reasons I give why their children's baby teeth are worth saving:
1. These teeth are important because they help guide proper eruption of
2. They help maintain good nutrition
with proper chewing.
3. They permit normal speech development.
4. They need to be repaired to avoid the pain and suffering your
child can experience from an abcess that can
lead to possible hospitalization.
5. To avoid damage to the developing permanent teeth.
6. To avoid inadvertent extraction of a permanent tooth bud with
early extraction of the primary tooth.
7. Avoid high bacteria counts from occurring that can create
possible lifetime problems.
8. Avoid decay of the teeth
next to the damaged tooth by direct spread of decay to the other teeth
by bacteria shed into the saliva.
9. Provide formation of the shape of the mouth.
10. Your child's smile affects their sense of self esteem &